Sourced from whatoliviadid is the first ever cupcake recipe I tried that was actually quite disastrous on my first attempt, haha! Who knew you can’t just wing it without a cupcake tin because those paper cases are just so flimsy?! Terrible experience, important lesson behind it: when in doubt, don’t do it. My next few batches of these cupcakes came out in mini version because I managed to find sturdy little cupcake cases that completely did away with cupcake tins, hehe.
Of course, the dad kept lamenting the small cupcakes and decided to get me a cupcake tin one day 😀 (As well as a springform cake pan!!) Had a blast during the holidays baking with the tin and nomming on full-size cupcakes afterward hehehe 🙂
They didn’t look as delicious and pretty as the picture above from the source, though… probably because I couldn’t bother with making frosting and I don’t have fudge or dainty little cupcake boxes 😦 Living in Asia isn’t always the best because it’s so hard to source for some ingredients or materials!!
Anyway, I’ve decided that I should probably continue with my recipe documentation (in particular, all those bookmarked recipes I’ve been dying to try!) lest they disappear by the time I get around to using them because the internet is just wonky that way. Without further ado, chocolate cupcakes! (Recipe directly lifted from whatoliviadid~)
– 100g plain flour
– 2 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
– 140g caster sugar
– 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
– a pinch of salt!
– 40g unsalted butter at room temperature
– 120ml whole milk
– 1 egg
– 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 300g icing sugar
– 100g unsalted butter at room temperature
– 40g cocoa powder
– 3 tablespoons whole milk (sometimes you may need a little more!)
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees!
2. Put (preferably sift) the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a bowl, and if like me, you don’t have an electric mixer (wah!) beat together until mixed well and of a ‘sandy consistency’ (and you have a mild arm ache).
(see! brown edible sand!)
3. Whisk the milk, egg and vanilla extract together in a bowl, pouring about half into the flour mixture and stirring it until mixed well, with as few lumps as possible (this is hard as the mixture disappears quickly!)
4. Pour in the remaining mixture and mix until smooth (without an electric mixer this is probably near to impossible, but make it as lump-free as poss!)
5. Spoon the mixture into some fun paper cases, until about two thirds full and bake for about 20-25 minutes (you know they’re done when a skewer/knife comes out clean when poked in!). Leave to cool!
6. While the cupcakes are busy chillin’ (see what I did there, anyone…no?) you can make your frosting! Add your icing sugar, butter and cocoa into a bowl and beat until all well mixed and comes together.
7. Add the milk to the mixture a little bit at a time, and beat until light and fluffy- ‘the longer the frosting is beaten the lighter and fluffier it becomes- viola!
(excuse all the cutlery!)
8. When the cupcakes are cool spoon your frosting on top and decorate with whatever you fancy (it was a toss up between marshmallows and fudge!) If you’re a dork like me you can also buy some rad cake boxes from Sainsburys and put them in there to be real profesh 😉 enjoy!